Current:Home > NewsOrganizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -Streamline Finance
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:34:46
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (79927)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Los Angeles area sees more dengue fever in people bitten by local mosquitoes
- Sebastian Stan Defends Costar Adam Pearson’s Condition After Reporter Uses Term Beast in Interview
- Teen left with burns after portable phone charger combusts, catches bed on fire in Massachusetts
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Leave your finesse at the door: USC, Lincoln Riley can change soft image at Michigan
- America’s political system is under stress as voters and their leaders navigate unfamiliar terrain
- 'We need help, not hate:' Springfield, Ohio at center of national debate on immigration
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Bruins' Jeremy Swayman among unsigned players as NHL training camps open
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Texans' C.J. Stroud explains postgame exchange with Bears' Caleb Williams
- Step Inside Jennifer Aniston's Multi-Million Dollar Home in Inside Look at Emmys Prep
- Ulta & Sephora 1-Day Deals: 50% Off Lancome Monsieur Big Volumizing Mascara, MAC Liquid Lipstick & More
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- US home sales fell in August despite easing mortgage rates, more homes on the market
- Hayden Panettiere breaks silence on younger brother's death: 'I lost half my soul'
- Eric Roberts Says Addiction Battle Led to Him Losing Daughter Emma Roberts
Recommendation
Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
Orioles hope second-half flop won't matter for MLB playoffs: 'We're all wearing it'
'Sacred': Cherokee name in, Confederate general out for Tennessee's highest mountain
Former northern Virginia jail deputy gets 6 1/2 years for drug operation, sex trafficking
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Who plays on Thursday Night Football? Breaking down Week 3 matchup
Watch: Astros' Jose Altuve strips down to argue with umpire over missed call
Sean Diddy Combs' Alleged Texts Sent After Cassie Attack Revealed in Sex Trafficking Case