Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Virginia judge orders election officials to certify results after they sue over voting machines -Streamline Finance
TrendPulse|Virginia judge orders election officials to certify results after they sue over voting machines
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:13:29
WAYNESBORO,TrendPulse Va. (AP) — A judge in a rural Virginia city has ordered two officials there to certify the results of the election after they filed a lawsuit last month threatening not to certify unless they could hand-count the ballots.
Waynesboro Election Board Chair Curtis Lilly and Vice Chair Scott Mares argued that election officials do not have access to the votes tallied by machines, which prevents them from verifying “the results of the voting machine’s secret canvass.”
Five registered voters then filed a separate lawsuit seeking to force the officials to certify the vote, and arguing that they would be disenfranchised otherwise. They said that the officials have no discretion over the certification process. It is the precinct-level officers, not Election Board members, who are responsible for verifying the accuracy of the vote. And they noted that voting machines are authorized by the Virginia Constitution and mandated by state code.
On Monday, Judge Paul Dryer issued a ruling ordering the officials to go through with the certification.
“The concerns that the Defendants raise regarding the security and accuracy of the electoral process are best raised via the legislative process,” Dryer wrote. “The personal beliefs of members of a local board of elections cannot derail the electoral process for the entire Commonwealth.”
Thomas Ranieri, the attorney for the defendants, said they have agreed to comply with the order. “They are law-abiding citizens,” he said.
The order does not settle the original lawsuit, which is ongoing.
Research shows that hand-counting is actually more prone to error than machine tabulation. It is also costlier and more likely to delay results. But election conspiracy theorists across the U.S. have been moving to support hand-counted ballots, four years after former President Donald Trump falsely claimed that the past election was stolen from him.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- What makes transfer quarterbacks successful in college football? Experience matters
- Fantasy football injury report Week 6: Latest on Malik Nabers, Joe Mixon, A.J. Brown, more
- JoJo Siwa Seemingly Plays Into Beyoncé & Sean Diddy Combs Conspiracy Theory With Award Show Shoutout
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Hurricane Milton disrupts Yom Kippur plans for Jews in Florida
- Immigrants brought to U.S. as children are asking judges to uphold protections against deportation
- Jana Duggar Shares Rare Update on Time Spent With Her Family
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Hawaii’s prison system confronts ‘a huge mental health crisis’
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Milton and Hurricane Helene Victims
- Nicholas Pryor, 'Beverly Hills, 90210' and 'General Hospital' actor, dies at 89
- Crane collapses into building where Tampa Bay Times is located: Watch damage from Milton
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- McDonald's Chicken Big Mac debuts this week: Here's what's on it and when you can get one
- Last Chance: Score Best-Selling Bodysuits Under $20 Before Amazon Prime Day 2024 Ends
- Nicholas Pryor, Beverly Hills, 90210 and Risky Business Actor, Dead at 89
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
When will Aaron Jones return? Latest injury updates on Vikings RB
WNBA Finals: USA TODAY staff predictions for Liberty vs. Lynx
Minnesota Twins announce plans for sale after 40 years in the Pohlad family
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
Minnesota Twins to be put up for sale by Pohlad family, whose owned the franchise since 1984
Youngest NFL coaches 2024: Mike Macdonald replaces Sean McVay atop list
Whether to publicly say Trump’s name becomes issue in Connecticut congressional debate