Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier -Streamline Finance
Poinbank:Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:55:18
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on PoinbankWednesday said he will not participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades and instead proposed two debates with former President Donald Trump to be held earlier in the year.
Biden’s campaign proposed that the first debate between the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees be held in late June and the second in September before early voting begins. Trump responded to the letter in an interview with Fox News digital, calling the proposed dates “fully acceptable to me” and joked about providing his own transportation.
Biden, in a post on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, sought to needle his rival, saying, “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal.”
The Democrat suggested that the two candidates could pick some dates, taking a dig at Trump’s ongoing New York hush money trial by noting that the Republican is “free on Wednesdays,” the usual day off in the trial.
Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon on Wednesday sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates to say that Biden would not participate in its announced debates, choosing instead to participate in debates hosted by news organizations. The Biden campaign objected to the fall dates selected by the commission — which come after some Americans begin to vote — repeating a complaint also raised by the Trump campaign.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
Biden’s campaign has long-held a grudge against the nonpartisan commission for failing to evenly apply its rules during the 2020 Biden-Trump matchups — most notably when it didn’t enforce its COVID-19 testing rules on Trump and his entourage — and Biden’s team has held talks with television networks and some Republicans about ways to circumvent the commission’s grip on presidential debates.
The president first indicated he would be willing to debate Trump during an interview with the radio host Howard Stern last month, telling him that “I am, somewhere. I don’t know when. But I’m happy to debate him.”
Biden indicated again last week that he was preparing to debate, telling reporters as he was leaving a White House event: “Set it up.”
Trump has repeatedly dared Biden to debate him, keeping a second podium open at rallies and claiming that his rival would not be up for the task.
Trump, too, has taken issue with the debate commission, but he and his team have maintained that they don’t care who hosts the debates as long as they happen.
The Trump campaign issued a statement on May 1 that objected to the scheduled debates by the Commission on Presidential Debates, saying that the schedule “begins AFTER early voting” and that “this is unacceptable” because voters deserve to hear from the candidates before ballots are cast.
Trump said at a Pennsylvania rally before his hush money trial began that the debates were needed.
“We have to debate because our country is going in the wrong direction so badly,” Trump said with the empty podium next to him. “We have to explain to the American people what the hell is going on.”
veryGood! (3715)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Air travelers sue CrowdStrike after massive computer outage disrupts flights
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Carlos Yulo Wins Condo, Colonoscopies and Free Ramen for Life After Gold Medal
- Pregnant Cardi B Reveals the Secret of How She Hid Her Baby Bump
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Chic Desert Aunt Is the Latest Aesthetic Trend, Achieve the Boho Vibes with These Styles & Accessories
- What sustains moon's fragile exosphere? Being 'bombarded' by meteorites, study says
- Two hikers reported missing in Yosemite National Park after going on day hike Saturday
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Who is Warren Buffett? Why investors are looking to the 'Oracle of Omaha' this week
Ranking
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Stock market recap: Wall Street hammered amid plunging global markets
- NY homeowner testifies that RFK Jr. rents a room at trial disputing whether he lives in the state
- Louisiana AG asks court to dismiss lawsuit against new Ten Commandments law
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Kehlani's ex demands custody of their daughter, alleges singer is member of a 'cult'
- Fifth inmate dies at Wisconsin prison as former warden set to appear in court on misconduct charge
- NY homeowner testifies that RFK Jr. rents a room at trial disputing whether he lives in the state
Recommendation
Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
Sam Kendricks wins silver in pole vault despite bloody, punctured hand
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Speaks Out After Missing Medal Due to Jordan Chiles' Score Change
Officials probe cause of wildfire that sent residents fleeing in San Bernardino
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
John Travolta and daughter Ella Bleu spotted on rare outing at Paris Olympics
A Legal Fight Over Legacy Oil Industry Pollution Heats Up in West Texas
Family of 4 from Texas missing after boat capsizes in Alaska, report says