Current:Home > InvestFamily of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit -Streamline Finance
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 20:40:57
The family of a French explorer who died in a submersible implosion has filed a wrongful death lawsuit seeking more than $50 million that accuses the sub’s operator of gross negligence.
Paul-Henri Nargeolet was among five people who died when the Titan submersible imploded during a voyage to the famed Titanic wreck site in the North Atlantic in June 2023. No one survived the trip aboard the experimental submersible owned by OceanGate, a company in Washington state that has since suspended operations.
Known as “Mr. Titanic,” Nargeolet participated in 37 dives to the Titanic site, the most of any diver in the world, according to the lawsuit. He was regarded as one of the world’s most knowledgeable people about the famous wreck. Attorneys for his estate said in an emailed statement that the “doomed submersible” had a “troubled history,” and that OceanGate failed to disclose key facts about the vessel and its durability.
“The lawsuit further alleges that even though Nargeolet had been designated by OceanGate to be a member of the crew of the vessel, many of the particulars about the vessel’s flaws and shortcomings were not disclosed and were purposely concealed,” the attorneys, the Buzbee Law Firm of Houston, Texas, said in their statement.
A spokesperson for OceanGate declined to comment on the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in King County, Washington. The lawsuit describes Nargeolet as an employee of OceanGate and a crew member on the Titan.
Tony Buzbee, one of the attorneys on the case, said one goal of the lawsuit is to “get answers for the family as to exactly how this happened, who all were involved, and how those involved could allow this to happen.”
Concerns were raised in the aftermath of the disaster about whether the Titan was doomed due to its unconventional design and its creator’s refusal to submit to independent checks that are standard in the industry. Its implosion also raised questions about the viability and future of private deep-sea exploration.
The U.S. Coast Guard quickly convened a high-level investigation, which is ongoing. A key public hearing that is part of the investigation is scheduled to take place in September.
The Titan made its last dive on June 18, 2023, a Sunday morning, and lost contact with its support vessel about two hours later. After a search and rescue mission that drew attention around the world, the wreckage of the Titan was found on the ocean floor about 984 feet (300 meters) off the bow of the Titanic, about 435 miles (700 kilometers) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland.
OceanGate CEO and cofounder Stockton Rush was operating the Titan when it imploded. In addition to Rush and Nargeolet, the implosion killed British adventurer Hamish Harding and two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood.
The company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic is in the midst of its first voyage to the wreckage site in years. Last month, RMS Titanic Inc., a Georgia-based firm, launched its first expedition to the site since 2010 from Providence, Rhode Island.
Nargeolet was director of underwater research for RMS Titanic. One of the expeditions Nargeolet took was the first visit to the Titanic in 1987, shortly after its location was discovered, the lawsuit states. His estate’s attorneys described him as a seasoned veteran of underwater exploration who would not have participated in the Titan expedition if the company had been more transparent.
The lawsuit blames the implosion on the “persistent carelessness, recklessness and negligence” of Oceangate, Rush and others.
“Decedent Nargeolet may have died doing what he loved to do, but his death — and the deaths of the other Titan crew members — was wrongful,” the lawsuit states.
veryGood! (51263)
Related
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- A Pennsylvania court says state police can’t hide how it monitors social media
- Americans are demanding more: Desired salary for new jobs now nearly $79,000
- Scary landing as jet’s wheel collapses on touchdown in California during Tropical Storm Hilary
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Prosecutors prepare evidence in trial of 3 men accused in plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Whitmer
- Hawaii officials urge families of people missing after deadly fires to give DNA samples
- About 30,000 people ordered to evacuate as wildfires rage in Canada's British Columbia
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Michigan woman had 'no idea' she won $2M from historic Mega Millions jackpot
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- A judge will consider if Texas can keep its floating barrier to block migrants crossing from Mexico
- Milkshakes from a Tacoma burger joint tied to listeria outbreak that killed 3 people
- Knicks suing Raptors and former employee for sharing confidential information, per reports
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Pakistani rescuers try to free 6 kids and 2 men in a cable car dangling hundreds of feet in the air
- 'Hell on wheels' teen gets prison in 100 mph intentional crash that killed boyfriend, friend
- Tropical Storm Harold path live updates: System makes landfall in Texas
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
850 people still unaccounted for after deadly Maui wildfires, mayor says
Hilary was a rare storm. Here's why
Feds approve offshore wind farm south of Rhode Island and Martha’s Vineyard
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Tropical Storm Harold forms in Gulf, immediately heads for Texas
Chicago White Sox fire executive vice president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn
When does 'The Voice' Season 24 come out? Premiere date, coaches, how to watch